Thursday, July 29, 2010

Beach Breakfast Casserole

Per the too-long-for-most-people recap of our beach weekend, I was in charge of breakfast on Saturday morning.  I had a breakfast casserole recipe picked out, then forgot it on my kitchen counter in Charlotte.  So I decided to just kind of make one up as I went along... And, to my surprise, everyone seemed to really like it!


Breakfast Casserole
5 slices of bread (I used pre-made, store-bought croissants and think it gave it a nice extra crunch)
5 large eggs
2 cups of milk
2 cups of Colby Jack cheese, shredded
½ bag of frozen hash browns (the 'Potatoes O'Brien' with peppers & onions)
1 tablespoon dry mustard
Several generous shakes of hot sauce
Salt & pepper to taste

1.  Slice bread into small cubes and cover the bottom of greased baking dish (for the croissants, I also sliced them in half).
2.  Mix eggs, milk, dry mustard, hot sauce, salt & pepper well.  Pour over bread cubes in dish.
3.  Cover and refrigerate over night.
4.  In the morning, sprinkle cheese evenly over top of casserole.
5.  Top with frozen hash browns (be sure to break up any frozen chunks first).
6.  Bake (uncovered) at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until edges and top are browned.

Obviously, not part of this effort... But delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Catherine. I'm going to steal this one from you for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I am going to give it a try next time I am in charge of breakfast! Thanks for posting this recipe! Looks like you had a lot of fun with your friends!

    ReplyDelete