Monday, November 23, 2009

Bluegrass & Blue Cheese Coleslaw

On Saturday night, we headed out to the annual Sharon Hills neighborhood barbeque. Every year, my dad’s neighborhood hosts a November get-together – complete with pulled pork BBQ, sauces, drinks, a big outdoor fire, and a Southern Bluegrass Band.

(perhaps a glimpse into the Masonboro Boys future?)

Each family is asked to bring a side, so I went with a recipe from my mother-in-law that is always a crowd pleaser. Even doubling the recipe and being a little late to the festivities, we still left with only about a spoonful of the dish!

Karen's Blue Cheese Coleslaw
1 bag of tri-color coleslaw mix
2 lemons juiced (I use the bottled lemon juice, and add generously to give the desired consistency – plus I like mine to have a stronger lemon taste)
2-3 teaspoons of horseradish (I always use 3 heaping tsp)
1½ cup of mayonnaise
1 block of crumbled blue cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish, salt, and pepper. Combine with coleslaw and mix well. Add crumbled blue cheese and mix well. Refrigerate and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment