Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No Sew Bedskirt

Over the weekend, we put a little dent in our never-ending 'to do' list for the house. My DIY project for the weekend was a 'no sew' bedskirt, inspired by this post.

Sewing is one of the skills I have yet to master in my new-found domestic pursuits. Since I do not own or know how to even turn on a sewing machine, I loved this project.

I'd been searching for a brown twill bedskirt to match our upholstered head board. There are plenty of brown bed skirts out there, but none in a textured fabric that I could find. The exception being one from the company that makes our head board (so the fabric would be exactly the same) - Major problem: The budget buster price of $285!

I found these brown twill window panels on sale at Pier 1 a few weeks ago for $40! The beauty of using window panels is that the edges are all already finished. The steps are so simple:



1. Lay the first panel out on one side of the boxspring.

2. Measure from the floor to the bottom of the panel to ensure that it is level all the way around. I decided to make mine 1 inch from the floor.


3. Safety pin the far edge of the panel to the fabric on your box spring. Note that the corner will most likely touch the ground, and so you'll need to pull one piece up and under (like folding the corners of the fitted sheet on your bed) and safety pin there as well.



4. Repeat with the other panel, but start at the halfway point of the boxspring with a crease, so that it looks like there is a pleat in the bedskirt. You will most likely want to go over this with an iron to flatten the fabric.


I'm still working on the crease and the corners, but overall I'm really happy with how the bedskirt came out! The price is hard to beat, and no more looking at the bedframe and under-bed storage bins!

Before Shot:


After:

2 comments:

  1. Awww.. Hi Ellie! I love that she is modeling for you "after" pic!

    Great job with the bed skirt! You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Ellie is in your picture:) She's just waiting to hop up on the bed when Jeff leaves!

    ReplyDelete