Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lime Yogurt Cake Review

As I mentioned earlier, I tried out Smitten Kitchen's Lime Yogurt Cake for our Labor Day cookout.  I was so excited to finally try this recipe... but have to admit that it was not the best I've made.

Don't get me wrong, the recipe is probably great... but I have a feeling that I over-mixed the batter, or should not have used Greek yogurt, or both.  Any other thoughts on why the cake came out with a distinct flour taste (and not very moist)?

{leftover cake, post-cookout}

I went back-and-forth on whether or not to post this recipe, but this is about 'adventures' in the kitchen... and honestly, not all of my adventures turn out well!

If made correctly, I think this could be an excellent choice for a nice, light dessert.  Although, I would suggest upping the lime for a stronger flavor.  Definitely for a night when you just want a little something sweet, like after a huge cookout meal!

  
For the cake:
1 cup whole milk plain unsweetened yogurt (I used Fage 2% Greek yogurt)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
zest of one lime
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 eggs
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt

For the sauce:
12 ounces fresh raspberries (the original recipe called for blackberries, but I substituted for what was on sale at the grocery)
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare 9-inch round cake pan with baker's spray (or butter & flour).

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, sugar, lime zest and juice. Add the eggs one by one, whisking well after each addition. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together, right over your yogurt batter. Stir with a spoon until just combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let stand for 10 minutes.  Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

For the sauce:
Combine raspberries, water, sugar and lime juice in blender or food processor. Puree until very smooth, then press through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds (I skipped this step with the sauce). Cover and refrigerate until cold.

Serve cake topped with sauce & enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I tried this recipe and loved it. My cake looked a little more dense, not so fluffy and the lime was very limey. You should def try it again!

    ReplyDelete