Thursday, September 23, 2010

This or That?

This is one of those posts that could either turn out awesome... or not at all.  As I mentioned before (and even earlier), I'd really like to upgrade my camera to a digital SLR.  I'd love to improve the pictures featured on the blog, take an intro to photography class, and of course, be ready for all the deluxe photography when little ones come along (that belong to other people, well for right now at least).

Jeff, on the other hand, isn't too keen on the whole idea.  My father-in-law loaned me his SLR to test out for a little while, and of course, it was love at first shot!  Jeff still doesn't think there is a noticeable difference in picture quality... So, dear blog readers, this is where you come in!

The three pictures below were taken with an SLR camera, our regular digital camera, and a digital camera with a telephoto lens (but about half the mega pixels).

A

B

C

So which do you think is the SLR camera picture?  Can you tell a difference between that one and the other two?  Leave us a comment on your picture quality thoughts, and be sure to mark your choices in our poll!

1 comment:

  1. So, here is a little story that I think may help you out with that hubby of yours. Dustin and I each have DSLRs (he has the Nikon D-80 while I have the D-5000). I won't say that you can tell a HUGE difference if you are taking a standard pic, BUT the big difference comes in with flexibility later. You have much more flexibility in changing lenses when you are taking different shots plus the fact of being able to shoot in .raw rather than .jpeg which is a huge advantage when you get to editing. Plus, it's all about the added creativity you get with being able to change settings on your SLR. Maybe you want something that isn't a traditional shot (or what your digital would choose to focus on in "auto" mode). But that's all stuff you could learn in a basic photo class... and really the fun part of taking pics.

    ReplyDelete