Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day Weekend Update


Where to begin… We had such a great long weekend!  Friday night was spent relaxing before the crazy day of errands, yard work, and a quick home project on Saturday.  And for the first time ever, I was the one who initiated the yard work!  After accomplishing amazing fetes for a long-weekend Saturday, we tuned in to the amazing effort of the Tarheels against LSU.  Although we didn’t come out with a win, we were so proud of our team!  Definitely looking forward to some UNC tailgating in the coming months!

Sunday morning I was feeling a little under-the-weather, and sadly opted to miss the lake day.  Jeff headed to Lake Norman with friends, and even took out the newest edition to the Whittaker fleet for its maiden voyage!

{co-owner of our second boat, taking the wheel}

By Monday night I was feeling rested and ready to go for our family cookout.  We had my parents, Jeff's parents, my grandparents, Jeff's sister & her husband, my sister & her boyfriend, Jeff's brother, and Kelly's brother-in-law over!  In typical bad blogger fashion, I totally forgot to get pictures of the incredible spread… It was more along the lines of a potluck feast than a simple cookout!

We started the evening with my sister-in-law Kelly’s homemade spinach & artichoke dip for an appetizer and wine, courtesy of my sister.  Then moved on to the main course: burgers and dogs (by my grill-master hubby), my grandpa’s homemade hot dog chili, blue cheese coleslaw, Kelly’s macaroni & cheese, my mom’s baked beans, my grandma’s potato salad, and my mother-in-law Karen’s black bean & corn salad.


{pre-cookout set up}

And, if all that food wasn’t enough, we rounded out the night with two desserts!  Karen made a delicious coconut cake, and I'll be posting the cake recipe I used from Smitten Kitchen later this week (stay tuned!)

It was a perfect night to enjoy the amazing food & great company outside...


{outside set up}

{Ellie with her toys}

... and a great end to our Labor Day weekend!  Hope ya'll enjoyed yours too!

No comments:

Post a Comment